My students recently asked me which phrases are the best ones to use to ask what something looks like and what are the simplest possible answers:
“what + to be + something + like?”
- Where do you live ?
- What are the streets like in… ?
- What are the buildings like ?
- What is the public transport like ?
- What are the people like ?
Then we used description phrases about cities in our answers:
- I live in New York.
- The streets are crowded / noisy / dirty / clean / wide / narrow…
- The buildings are tall / small / impressive / magnificient / old / derilict…
- The public transport in NY is convenient / efficient / cheap / expensive…
- The people in NY are agressive / unfriendly / rude / impatient …
- General phrases
- Saying hello
- Saying goodbye
- Phone conversation
- At the bank
- At the supermarket
- At the market
- At the chemist’s
- At the hotel
- At the restaurant
- At the cafe or bar
- At the post office
- At the travel agency
- At the doctor’s
- At the dentist’s